Dental Health Community
Food stuck in gums won't come out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Food stuck in gums won't come out

I was eating strawberries the other day and I believe that a small seed got stuck in my gums behind my right wisdom tooth on the bottom. This has happened before with popcorn, but the offending particles easily came out and the swelling went down. Now, whatever is stuck there is pretty well stuck. My gum is swollen pretty badly and it's starting to get pretty painful. I'm sure that it's from the strawberries, I had no problems before I started eating them and could feel the seed getting stuck, I though it would dislodge immediately. What solutions do I have? I'm far away at school from my dentist, is there anything that I can do? Thank you.
Have you tried swishing very warm salt water in your mouth vigorously?  That may help reduce the swelling enough to float the seed out.
Also, you could try some ice on the outside of your face, again to help reduce the swelling so the seed will come out on its own.  

Don't try to pick it out.  You can drive it further in.

If that doesn't work, you may need to find a dentist nearby to help you.

Good luck and best to you,
Gellia
yea somthing kinda like that happend to me to i was eatng popcorn and i think im not 100% sure but a piece got stuck between two really tight teeth i tryed flossing i tryed brushing i tryed with my nails and everytime i bite down it feels like somthing goes into my gums and come back out is somthing there and how do i get out or did my gums swell up and thats all im feeling
Try that salt water thing.  Make the water as hot as you can stand it and salt the water til it tastes sort of like the ocean.  Swish around the area that feels like something is in the gum.  The salt helps to reduce swelling.  Ice on the outside of the face will help, too.
If you can take ibuprofen, that will also reduce any inflammation around the gum.
When you floss, do it GENTLY.  If you irritate your gum  anything in there will not come out.
Take the floss and move down along the side of the tooth.  When you get to the bottom, form a "C" like motion to the tooth base and see if you can scoop anything out.

Continue with the salt water four or five times a day for about 5 minutes.  
The idea is to reduce the inflammation so anything stuck can float out or come out with the floss.

You really can't wait too long before you see a dentist if something is really stuck.  It will only really irritate your gum.
Do make an appointment.  You can always cancel if any of the above works and makes it feel better.

Good luck and my best to you,
Gellia
Hi Gellia! Do you work in dentistry? I also have something stuck in my gum. It's been there for about 4-5 days. I will try the rigorous swishing of salt water now that I've read this... but I'm sure it will come out eventually, right? Do I need to worry too much about infection, or just be patient?
If using salt water rinses and flossing along the side of the tooth doesn't lift out whatever is in there, you do need to see a dentist.  Most of the time the salt water will help the gum shrink enough so that any offending particle can free itself,but if it's really  stuck down in a periodontal pocket you may need a dentist's assistance in freeing it.

Leaving for more than a few days is really not an option.  It can cause an infection that will eventually reach the bone and start to dissolve it.  If you have had something stuck in your gum for 4-5 days and it hasn't come free, you need to see a dentist ASAP.  He will have the proper instruments to get it out.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia
i love pop corn and like most of you guys, some particles would also stuck on my gums..im glad i stumble upon this thread..i was just really helping with my nephews science assignment..thats really good info about the salt water..
hi ! i have a piece of meat stuck it will not come out... my gum is not swollen but it hurts really bad and when i try and floss . nothing comes out at all i have tried the salt water thing and it just burns.... i cant see a dentist becaouse i  have no dental insurance... any other suggestions ? from any one  plz help it hurts  and affects my eating
If the salt water burns, you're using way to much salt.  That defeats the purpose.  Use 1/4tsp in about 8 oz of warm water.  What you're trying to do is create a nearly normal saline environment.  

When you floss, take the floss and hold it close against the side of your tooth in a "C" shape.  Scoop down along the tooth, scoop along base in the "C" and lift out.  Do not scrub back and forth.  Your gums should never become irritated from flossing.

Use the warm salt water rinses.  Swish the solution in your mouth and through your teeth.   It will help reduce any swelling in your gum and help you get the floss down where the piece of meat is.  If that doesn't work, you could try a water pik but they can be as expensive as a quick trip to the dentist.  
If you can't get it out, you'll need to get to a dentist.  They may have to use dental instruments if whatever is lodged is that deep.  You can't leave it there.  It will decay and infect your tooth and gum.

Just try being gentle.  Sometimes too much is as bad as too little.  If it hurts, it's probably swollen.  

GOOD LUCK.  Please let us know how you do.
Best to you,
Gellia
it is a pepper seed from a pepper and its been there for two days  and its very soar it in the top of my mouth in the gum
Thank you so much for your advice.  I had some food lodged in between my tooth and a crown.  This happened on Friday, October 28th.  This has happened before and, normally, any food would've ejected itself overnight but, this time, it took 2 days too many so I was getting concerned because the pain was getting intense.

I found this site this morning and started the warm salt water treatments to try to reduce the swelling and rubbed a couple of ice cubes over the area.  I also used hydrogen peroxide to prevent any infections.

This afternoon, I happened to rub my tongue over the area and felt something so I checked in the mirror and the food had partially ejected itself! I WAS SO HAPPY! I grabbed it with my fingernail and slowly pulled it out.  There was some bleeding, probably because of the pressure on my gums over the past couple of days.  I rinsed my mouth and it's fine.

Thank you so much!  The pain is finally over! :-)

I'm so glad it worked for you!!  A few more days of rinsing with salt water wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck!  Hope you never have a seed problem again.

Best to you,
Gellia
Hey Gellia,

I have a piece of cereal stuck in my gums directly behind my two front teeth. It's not painful, just numb, and there's a bit of blood.

What should I do? Would the salt rinse work for me as well?
It's sure worth a try.  Use no more than 1/2 tsp salt in a full glass of very warm (warm, not hot, please don't burn yourself) water.  Swish.  You may have to do it a few times during the course of the day.  The salt should pull any fluid out of the tissue so the object gets to float itself out of there.

GOOD LUCK!  Let us know how you do!
My best to you,
Gellia
about 10 days ago I was eating bacon and a small piece lodges in my gums right behind my top front teeth. I have had this happen before and after a couple of days It comes out and I get relief. Not this time! I have tried everything. Except the salt water rinses. I did rinse with salt water once. It is swollen and now today all day my upper teeth hurt....ALL of them. I just want to pull them all out that is how bad it hurts. I know there must be infection up in there and I tried relieving the pressure by poking a needle in the swollen area but got no relief. I am at my wits end and I have no dental insurance!!
I'm so sorry you are going through this.  It does sound as though the area has become infected.  You would need antibiotics.  PLEASE don't poke at it!  This only allows bacteria to get below the surface.

I don't think there's anything else you can do at this point except get to a dentist or go to your local ER.

GOOD LUCK!  I hope everything will turn out OK.
My best to you,
Gellia

Hi, I actually got a piece of apple stuck in my gums.  Not the rind, the fleshy part.  It doesn't hurt or is swollen...yet.  I rinsed with warm salt water but I cant floss there, I have an orthodontic bridge on the inner side of my front bottom teeth.  Should I just keep rinsing and hope it slides out on its own?
You seem very knowledgable. Do you have any reccomendations for gum irritation that is not related to food being stuck but rather from crown work (crown prep, root canal and crown placement). This has been going on for about 2 months. I'm sure a lot of it is from all of the irritation from the work, but I have tried a sterioid and am using a periodex rinse and there is still some pain. I don't want to remove the crown to let the gums heal but I'm afraid if i leave the crown on, it will stay irritated.
any suggestions? thanks so much
Hi...i ate some chips and dip and it looks like a seasoning leaf is behing my gums in front of my bottom canine tooth... doesn't hurt...but looks black... i got a piece out but it broke and went further in... will it come out on its own? Or get infected?
I bite my nails and I got one lodgedcin between my gums between my two front teeth. It has been there for months,  do you think the salt water solution may help with my issue? It hurts on and off. I constantly pick at it with a tooth pick or floss!