Dental Health Community
Fosamax and tooth extraction.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Fosamax and tooth extraction.

How long should a person be off of Fosamax before they can have a tooth extracted?  I took Fosamax for app 3 years, but have not taken it in about 1 1/2 years.  I am having problems with a jaw tooth.  When I went to my dentist he would not touch the tooth because I had been on fosamax.  He sent me to a specialist to have a root canal, but I did not have that procedure because he said there was only a 70 to 75% chance that the procedure would be successful.  I need to have the tooth extracted, but we are being very cautious because of the Fosamax.  I know Fosamax stays in your system for years.  Have I been off of it long enough to have the extraction without fear of complications?