Dental Health Expert Forum
Foul smell from under Crown, had a root canal yrs before the crown .
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Foul smell from under Crown, had a root canal yrs before the crown .

I had 6 Crowns put in the top front of My mouth about 3 yrs ago.  I take very good care of My teeth and have been commended as such by the Hygenist every time I get My teeth cleaned,  Anyway, about 1 mo ago I was biting into a candy bar with almonds & felt a cracking noise in My tooth/crown . I didn't usually bite into anything hard for the fear of cracking a crown This time I did !  Next thing I know it has a foul smell when I flossed & brushed.  I called the Dentist, made an appt.  I had a panoramic x-ray taken, a cleaning & exam.   They asked me if I had noticed the odor before, I said "NO" !  It wasn't until I bit, then the cracking noise that I could smell an odor.  What I was told is that the crown needed to be replaced becaus there is a pocket of infection that needs to be addressed and the bone might need to be grafted.  So, I have a choice, either an implant or a bridge ?  Because the gum is receded & the tooth has to be removed, etc.....I went back today, the Dentist tells me that he feels in My best interest that a bridge would be more beneficial to My dental health because of the gum, the crown, the whole scenario.  Does this sound like My only solution ?  Have you heard that a permanent tooth has to be extracted after this happens with a crown ?  I am faced with 3 perm. tooth extractions and 1 bridge in My mouth !  I am extremely upset about this, any suggestions would be very helpful !  TY