Dental Health Expert Forum
Foul smell from under Crown, had a root canal yrs before the crown .

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had 6 Crowns put in the top front of My mouth about 3 yrs ago.  I take very good care of My teeth and have been commended as such by the Hygenist every time I get My teeth cleaned,  Anyway, about 1 mo ago I was biting into a candy bar with almonds & felt a cracking noise in My tooth/crown . I didn't usually bite into anything hard for the fear of cracking a crown This time I did !  Next thing I know it has a foul smell when I flossed & brushed.  I called the Dentist, made an appt.  I had a panoramic x-ray taken, a cleaning & exam.   They asked me if I had noticed the odor before, I said "NO" !  It wasn't until I bit, then the cracking noise that I could smell an odor.  What I was told is that the crown needed to be replaced becaus there is a pocket of infection that needs to be addressed and the bone might need to be grafted.  So, I have a choice, either an implant or a bridge ?  Because the gum is receded & the tooth has to be removed, etc.....I went back today, the Dentist tells me that he feels in My best interest that a bridge would be more beneficial to My dental health because of the gum, the crown, the whole scenario.  Does this sound like My only solution ?  Have you heard that a permanent tooth has to be extracted after this happens with a crown ?  I am faced with 3 perm. tooth extractions and 1 bridge in My mouth !  I am extremely upset about this, any suggestions would be very helpful !  TY
It depends on the crack.  I assume the fracture of the tooth is severe and its affect the underlying jaw bone.  If there's a bone defect, a dental implant may be placed but the gums may recede and result in an uneven gum appearance which can be a cosmetic problem.  Placing a bridge may avoid some of that but there may still be some recession involved due to the jawbone problem.  A bone graft may be done to help the bone heal and thus reducing the gum defect that results.  

You may want to consult with an implant dentist to see what they say about it.  If they feel confident about getting a good cosmetic result, you may want to consider the implant option over the bridge.