Dental Health Expert Forum
Front Teeth and Gums numb

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Front Teeth and Gums numb

I noticed yesterday that my left central incisor and my left lateral incisor felt numb.  The teeth feel numb and parts of the gum area are numb too.  On the gums the numbness does not go all the way up just part way.  When I brush and floss I can tell these teeth and gum areas are numb.  I have not had any recent injury to these teeth.  About 5+ years ago I did fall...but mainly the damage was to my nose. HA HA.  I have had some minor chipping to the left central incisor.  The numbness started with the central incisor and seems to be spreading to the lateral incisor.  I do have a cap on the left canine...but I still have feeling in that gun area.  I suffer from Fibromyalgia and have had quite a few root canals and crowns due to the pulp area NEVER calming down after dental work.  My dentist {who is a family friend...feels this is a neuralgia problem and could last for weeks or could be gone tomorrow.  He feels the nerve endings are aggravated.  Why I haven't a clue.  I am concerned that the numbness is spreading.  he says the gum tissues look good. Ther is no sensitiviy to temps...they is slight discomfort and throbbingNo real pain though.  I get a throbbing sensation each night after I floss anyway.  This is more intense.  It actually feels as if I am coming out of the effects of novacaine. Any ideas??? Solutions??? We are going out of town on Friday and I am concerned about something more severe "popping" up.  Thank You for your time.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
At this point I have no idea where the numbness is coming from. I would certainly test the vitality of the teeth in question. Other than that I can not give you any scientific reason for the numbness.
Thank you...How does the Dr. test the VITALITY of the teeth in question??  Thank you.

I also suffer from Fibromyalgia and suffer from numb teeth - feels just like it dies after I've had a filling.

It comes and goes making biting down feel very strange sometimes.

Problem in the uK is that VERY few doctors seem to knoe anything at all aboput FM.

Hope this helps.

K
A related discussion, Front Tooth Numbness & Dull Ache was started.