Dental Health Expert Forum
Front teeth pain - still undiagnosed

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Front teeth pain - still undiagnosed

I am having a problem with 3 of my teeth in the front. I had what I thought was a sinus infection 3 months ago, stuffed up left sinus under my eye, and front upper tooth pain. Antibiotics cleared up the sinus pain, but the tooth pain has remained. X-ray of teeth and sinuses are normal. These 3 teeth have recessed gums for years which have never caused any pain before. No pain with biting, but there is an ache all day. Sometimes it feels like I need to floss between these teeth to relieve the pressure. If I scratch the tip of my nose, I feel pain in my front teeth. If I press down between my nose and upper lip, there is a soreness above these 3 teeth. Sometimes the "ache" seems to extend to other teeth, but usually stays with these 3.

I am also living in a new area, very dry climate and very dry house. I am running a humidifer all day, and making sure I sleep on my back, so I don't clench my teeth. Although on milder temperature days the pain is reduced. Any ideas? I am very frustrated and a little worried. I have seen two dentists who have two very different opinions; one thinks I need braces (which I already had as a teenager) and the other wants to do major repair work to the recessed gum area. I have an aunt who had bone cancer in her jaw. Thanks.
Have you attempted to use a night guard to prevent any cleching/grinding of your teeth?

Has your sinus problem be resolved completely?  Its true that sinus pain can feel like a toothache so is it a possibility that your sinus pain is still lingering?  Do you have pain when lifting your head up and down (nodding)?  

I would attempt to use sensodyne or some other sensitivity toothpaste to see if that also helps with the problem.

Hi, have you tried sensodyn tooth paste? I think the second dentists opinion is more logical..I am not a dentist but it seems like it makes more sense..I have a friend who has recessed gums and she is dealing with pain on an area that was just worked on..It sounds like the nerve is being exposed..Good luck, just a tip I used to put an asperin on a toothache, for some releif..it numbs it right up..
I wouldn't recommend placing aspirin on the problem area as aspirin is an acid and will cause damage to the area.

How are your teeth?

When I read your post its sounded very similiar to what I am experiencing. I was put on two lots of antibiotics for tooth pain as after 4 trips to the Dentist they could find nothing. I have never had a filling and they said all the teeth looked fine. Still the pain in the upper left of my mouth continues like yours, and spreads to my front tooth.

I have been referred to the hospital where this week they took my remaining wisdom tooth out as it grew too long, this seemed to have cured my popping jaw . They took a detailed x-ray which showed that my teeth were fine, they have also taken a cast for a splint as they say that it is most likely teeth clenching / grinding.

Go towards the end of March for the fitting of the splint, so can let you know how things go.

I hope things improve for you.