Dental Health Community
Front teeth suddenly are sore when I bite down.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I have never experienced this problem before. I woke up and did not eat anything because we were in such a hurry, so I just drank some milk. I went berry picking for 4 hours and when I was back in the car I ate popcorn, a peanut butter sandwich and bread with cheese. Then I came home and drank water. I had some chocolates that hadn't been eaten yet, so I ate two macadamias covered in chocolate and chocolate covered crackers, right away I went to brush my teeth with whitening Colgate toothpaste to take a nap. I remember pain was disrupting my sleep. I don't usually grind my teeth, Ive never have. I woke up and thought it was a dream, but my one front adult tooth and the one to the left of it were hurting when the slightest thing tap from another tooth touched it. One tooth has a very small cavity I have a close eye on. The other one has a filling, but this filling is a couple months old. I started moaning and stuff because of all the pain, I put ice in a paper towel directly too the teeth, it relieved it for a little bit but it came back. My sister recommended to swish my mouth with salt water thinking it was bacteria, I did but it only made a small difference. They aren't sensitive to cold or hot things, just hurt when pressure is applied. I wanted to know if there was anything I could do before making my decision to go to the dentist. Also I looked in the back and front of the two teeth and nothing was there. Please and thank you ~Kim
One tooth is feeling alot better, but one remains very sensitive when touching it. Should I just apply ice and wait until time heals it?
It's always best to have dental pain checked by a dentist.  You could be getting an infection in one of the teeth.  Only way to know for sure is to have it xrayed.  The pain may go away, but if the infection really doesn't, it will only eat away at the bone that holds the teeth in.  

I lost my front top four teeth doing exactly the same.  I had a pain in one tooth and let it go.  It did go away.  Fast forward a year or so and I walked into a plate glass door.  A visit with my dentist let me know just how fast the bone had dissolved from that first infection.  I had to have four teeth replaced by implants.  Not only was this a long process but an expensive one and one that I could have completely avoided if I had gone to the dentist when my tooth first hurt.

PLEASE make an appt and have yours checked.  To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

My best to you,
Gellia
Hi, Thank you for your help. I am going to call and plan an  appointment today. May I ask if you had any thing wrong with your gums when you had this? My gums and around them is a little puffy. Thank you for your advice. Better safe then sorry, right? :)
I really had no symptoms after the initial infection went away.  No gum bleeding or pain or swelling at all.  That's what lulled me into complacency thinking all was well with it.

I couldn't have been more wrong!  The infection was silently eating away at the bone holding in the tooth.  I may not have found out at all if I hadn't hit the glass door.  THAT was a wake up call and I found out why they call periodontal disease a silent one.  Had a waited any longer, I may have lost the entire upper arch of teeth, rather than just the front four.

It's really SO much better to play it safe.  I so wish I had.  I do love my implants but that's only because there was no choice but to get the teeth removed.  One small trip to the dentist when I first hurt the tooth (I bit into a piece of shrimp and got a small cut from the shell) I could avoided the whole thing.

I'm glad you're going to your dentist.  It's really the ONLY thing to do.

My very best to you and let us know how you do.
Gellia