Dental Health Expert Forum
GUM LEAKING PUS

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

GUM LEAKING PUS

Hi, I had a dental abscess in February last year on one of my front bottom teeth which was treated with a root canal and antbiotics. It seemed ok but about 2 months ago a small hole appeared on the gum in front of this teeth which sporadically leaks pus and the tooth feels sore now and then (with varying intesity of pain). My dentist has prescribed 2 courses of amoxicillin now but this has not fixed the problem. Any advice on what I should do now? I don't want to have the tooth out as it is a front bottom one.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There are several options.  If it is from the same tooth you could retreat the root canal, your could do an apicoectomy, you could extract the tooth and replace it with an implant or bridge.  You really need to go over your options with your general dentist.  Something must be done because  the "hole" or draining fistula will not get better on its own or even with a dose of antibiotics.
the "hole" is indeed an opening through the bne for your infection to drain. without it, you'd be quite swollen. Either the root canal has failed, there is a fracture in the tooth, or there is a periodontal prolem. Antibiotics may work short term, but this is in no way a permanent fix for this problem. I'fd see another dentist for a new opinion on the problem.
I have similar problem with my upper gum. It used to swell and was very painful earlier on. My dentist operated on the inside and it reamined ok for 2/3 months. Now it develops puss almost daily.. and when I press my gum .. either from outside or inside.. the puss leaks.
A related discussion, Sore not healing was started.
Is it still an abscess if I feel no pain but there was drainage? I was prescribed penicillin but it only reduced the swelling,without stopping the drainage.