Dental Health Expert Forum
GUM SKIN PEELING

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

GUM SKIN PEELING

THE SKIN ON MY GUMS PEEL OFF SIMILAR TO SUNBURN.  THIS HAPPENS MONTHLY ON THE UPPER GUM AND LESS FREQUENTLY ON THE LOWER GUM.  THE PEELING JUST ROLLS OFF AND ONLY ON THE FACE SIDE OF GUMS. IT ORIGINATED SOME TIME BACK WHEN I WAS TAKING LITHIUM.  A PATHOLOGIST/PERODONTIST HAD DIAGNOSED THIS AS A LIFETIME PROBLEM BUT MY RESEARCH LED ME TO QUIT THE LITHIUM.  THE DEEP BLEEDING THEN STOPPED BUT THE PEELING PROBLEM CONTINUES. IT IS NOT PAINFUL BUT ANNOYING AND THE GUMS ARE ALWAYS A TENDER RED IN APPEARANCE.  WHAT SHOULD I DO?      
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would consult the periodontist again. What is the diagnosis and what if any is the treatment?