Dental Health Community
Geographic tongue or something more serious?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Geographic tongue or something more serious?

7982953?1337870721
I went to the doctor yesterday because my tongue had splotchy white patches on it that will not scrape off. I also noticed that my hard palate is extremely discolored with round, red dots. My tongue hurts when I eat or drink, but the roof of my mouth doesn't seem to bother me.. it itches slightly sometimes.

He told me I have geographic tongue, and gave me nystatin oral rinse. If geographic tongue isn't caused by yeast, why would he prescribe an antifungal? I'm just confused.

I'm a 22 yr old female. I am a smoker. otherwise good health, other than depression. (20 mg citalopram daily)

I'm attaching a picture I took in the waiting room at the doctor. I've edited the contrast of the picture so that you can see the colors and spots better.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2084768_tn?1332386042
Hey addiesmama74,

Doctor may have prescribed medication as a part of the possible diagnosis. He may have done intra oral exam and came to conclusion that it may be 1 out of two things.

Geographic Tongue is a condition which comes and goes. In most cases it is asymptomatic and does not require any type of medical involvement. I believe that what exactly triggers this condition is still unknown to us.

Now candidiasis or thrush or yeast infection (same thing - many names) will need a set of anti-fungal medication to be used.

Actually I believe erythematous candidiasis may fit perfectly for your hard palate issue. Make sure to follow the medication regiment though, as you should be able to see changes within next 2 weeks. If there are no changes, I would suggest scheduling another appointment.
Blank
Thanks for the info, and I agree with erythematous candidiasis. I'm still curious as to how I got this suddenly.. I've never had it before (other than a typical vaginal yeast infection) and I'm concerned as to why my immune system is apparently not working like it's supposed to.
Blank
2084768_tn?1332386042
Some of the contributing factors: poor oral hygiene, serious illness with introduction of antibiotics into the system and smoking.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...