Geographic tongue or something more serious?
I went to the doctor yesterday because my tongue had splotchy white patches on it that will not scrape off. I also noticed that my hard palate is extremely discolored with round, red dots. My tongue hurts when I eat or drink, but the roof of my mouth doesn't seem to bother me.. it itches slightly sometimes.

He told me I have geographic tongue, and gave me nystatin oral rinse. If geographic tongue isn't caused by yeast, why would he prescribe an antifungal? I'm just confused.

I'm a 22 yr old female. I am a smoker. otherwise good health, other than depression. (20 mg citalopram daily)

I'm attaching a picture I took in the waiting room at the doctor. I've edited the contrast of the picture so that you can see the colors and spots better.
Hey addiesmama74,

Doctor may have prescribed medication as a part of the possible diagnosis. He may have done intra oral exam and came to conclusion that it may be 1 out of two things.

Geographic Tongue is a condition which comes and goes. In most cases it is asymptomatic and does not require any type of medical involvement. I believe that what exactly triggers this condition is still unknown to us.

Now candidiasis or thrush or yeast infection (same thing - many names) will need a set of anti-fungal medication to be used.

Actually I believe erythematous candidiasis may fit perfectly for your hard palate issue. Make sure to follow the medication regiment though, as you should be able to see changes within next 2 weeks. If there are no changes, I would suggest scheduling another appointment.
Thanks for the info, and I agree with erythematous candidiasis. I'm still curious as to how I got this suddenly.. I've never had it before (other than a typical vaginal yeast infection) and I'm concerned as to why my immune system is apparently not working like it's supposed to.
Some of the contributing factors: poor oral hygiene, serious illness with introduction of antibiotics into the system and smoking.