Dental Health Expert Forum
Grinding teeth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Grinding teeth

About a year ago I started clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth in my sleep.  I realized I was doing this after waking up a few mornings with horrible headaches and pain in my jaw.  My dentist fitted me for a mouth guard (which I wear every night) and then things seemed a little better.  Well for the past 2 months I feel like I am doing it more than ever.  I wear the mouth guard every night but I am waking up with jaw pain.  Is there anything else I can do or take to alleviate this?
Avatar dr m tn
The mouthguard is not intended to stop the grinding while your sleeping. It is there primarily to protect your teeth from excessive wear. The resuption of the grinding maybe involved with some type of stress that maybe a causitive factor.If you clench in your sleep your will cause discomfort whether you wear the appliance or not. If you kept any of your muscles in a contracted state you would certainly have discomfort.I don't think I can give you a solution only to say that you have to look into something that might be causing stress.
Avatar n tn
Bruxism (as well as the stress that causes it) is usually due to a mineral imbalance. This is best determined by a Hair Analysis Test but trial-and-error may work. Try some magnesium and then B5.