Dental Health Expert Forum
Growing lump over a crowned tooth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Growing lump over a crowned tooth

A few months ago i have a root canal done and the cap was place over a treated tooth. On Friday night, i discovered a pea size lump above that tooth, so i went to see my dentist on Saturday morning. He made an incision into the lump, drained it, he explained that there was no pus, just pus, prescribed me Clindamycin 150mg to be taked twice a daily for 3 days and after checking my xrays he said that there was an inflammation on the top of a root, so according to him it was nothing to worry about.  I woke up this morning and the swelling of the gum grew rapidly and now it spreaded over the neighbouring tooth. However, there is no facial swelling (not yet at least), nor i experience any type of pain, just a minor discomfort in the swollen area.  Nevertheless, I am really concerned about it. Should I rush into an emergency room or sit tight and wait until antibiotics will take effect? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
The antibiotics won't really take full effect for another day or two.  You can monitor the situation and see how it feels/looks in a day or two.  If there's no improvement, a visit to your dentist or physician would be a good idea.  To me, it sounds like you need a root canal or some treatment to the area.