Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum Boil

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum Boil
Getting one or two small boils ( of about 2 mm diameter)  from time to time (three times in the last 6 months) on the front-side of the lower gum (i.e., behind the lower lip). There is no pain as such but the boil seems to contain 'pus'. Previously I treated those with saline water gurgle and those disappeared in 2-3 days. Is it anything serious? Do you suggest any medicine/treatement?

- Sarit.
I would recommend seeing a dentist if you haven't already.  It sounds like there's an abscess in the lower teeth and should be verified by x-rays and a clinical examination.  These boils allow for the pus to escape your jaw bone and relieves any pressure buildup but if the gum boils stop forming and the pus is blocked off, it can spread to other parts of the jaw and can be life threatening.  
A related discussion, gumboil was started.
A related discussion, Do you visit the dentist every 4 months was started.
A related discussion, tongue coating was started.