Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum Disease and Jaw Bone Degeneration

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum Disease and Jaw Bone Degeneration
Please advise how long term use (5 years) of anti-depressants and anti-psychotic meds like venlafaxine, olonzapine, zoloft, and prozac, even high stress, can create gum disease and jaw bone degeneration.  Thanks. boxcar.
I have researched these medications and the one common oral manifestion is dry mouth. This can certainly cause an increase in the incidence of dental decay and would have an effect on the gingiva(gum tissue). With increased gum inflammation comes an accompanying increase in bone loss. All though it can't be proven, I believe that stress plays an important part in the etiology(cause) of the disease process.
Thanks for your research and response.