Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum Pain After Strep Throat?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum Pain After Strep Throat?

So I had Strep Throat over the weekend. Seen my doctor and he put me on Amoxicillin. My strep cleared up for the most part (the white crap all over my throat). Throat is still sore and have ulcers in a few places around my mouth. Not to worried about that, what does worry me is now my gums are killing me. I cannot even tough them with a brush. No blood as of yet from them. Is this the last of the infection retreating?
How are you feeling now?  Have the gums improved?  Usually the mouth in particular isn't associated with strep throat.  
The Strep is gone now just some ulcers left on the back of my throat. Still taking the Amoxicillin as per my doctors orders. My gums are still tender. I used to be able to brush em then floss with no pain but now when I brush It hurts and flossing is out of the question.
Try to maintain your hygiene as best as you can.  Did you have a hard time brushing and flossing during your strep throat episode?  I'm thinking maybe you didn't brush and floss well during that time and maybe you're experiencing some symptoms from gingivitis.