Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum Sensitivty and Irritation after root Canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Background - I had a front that had become discoloured on the edges, and my Dentist said it had decay and he could fill it with a white filling, which he did, but said the filling went very close to the nerve. Anyway about two weeks later the tooth became very sore and my gum became swollen, I went back and the root of the tooth removed and then a tempory filling put in to give the tooth chance to settle down, every thing was fine for two weeks no pain a little discomfort in the gum but I her this is usual. Then tow weeks later I had the permanent filling done, and this is when the problems started from the moments I left the dentist my gum felt strange almost like there was constant pressure on it, I thought this would settle down but did not, so a week later I went back still experiencing pain in the gum, and the was hurting to bite on again, and when you tapped it from the front. The dentist took some more x -rays and look over every thing, said there was no swelling and everything looked good. So I went away rest assured it would settle, but now six months down the line it is no better, and starting to annoy greatly.

I am due to go back to the Dentist in a week or so for my check-up, is it just taking a long time to settle or is there a problem, I also get a small bump in the roof of my mouth that comes up then an hour later it has gone, it this happens maybe two or three time a week, but always the same place and right behind the tooth that has the problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds to me like you still have a residual infection left. This should be addressed with your present dentist or a endodontist(root canal specialist).
the fact that you get a small bump that goes away is telling. it sounds like there is still infection present, perhaps in the form of a fistula which is a tract from the root of your tooth through the bone to the gum tissue where it can drain. since it drains, you don't get visibly swollen. if everything is fine with this tooth, you would not have a fistula from this tooth.... so, either everything is not fine with this tooth or there is another tooth involved... which seems unlikely since you get pain when there is tapping on this tooth. ask your dentist to take a film of this tooth, and to examine the area where you get the bump on your gum for ther presence of a fistula. if you are not satisfied, see a root canal specialist to evaluate it.  good luck.