Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum bleeds and hurts while brushing

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum bleeds and hurts while brushing
Hello Doctor
I have been having painful gums for couple of nights now when i brush my teeth and i really go hard on them thinking it could make it better but i just read somewhere its bad to go hard on your gums while brushing. They tend to bleed too. I was just wondering if it could be gingivitis. I'm also suffering from bad breath for a year now. I'm planning on seeing a dentist in 2 weeks. This is the earliest appointment i could get. Any thoughts on this?
It sounds like it could be gingivitis or something beyond gingivitis known as periodontal disease.  Your dentist will do a thorough examination and determine what needs to be done to take care of your situation.  If it is periodontal disease, a scalings of the root surfaces of your teeth below the gums will help resolve the issue.  It isn't painful but you may need to be numbed for the treatment.  Afterwards, you may be a little sore for a day.
one thing i forgot to mention is that right after i brush my teeth like after 10 min i still get the bad breath..and one more thing im really scared of goin to a dentist and the last time i checked up with a dentist was 2 years ago..if im suffering from gingivitis and need a treatment does the treatment actually hurt?