Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum inflammation and jaw pain after teeth cleaning

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a routine cleaning 2 days ago. During the cleaning, I felt a really sharp ***** (more than the usual sharp ***** during cleanings) in the back lower right (by a tooth which had 3/4 of a root canal 12 years ago (too long to explain, but it bisected a nerve so they didn't finish-a result is that I had TMJ which cleared up in a couple of years. Since then, I've been fine, teeth and gums have been fine too-so no problems going in.)  During the cleaning, my dentist took a couple of xrays and all looked fine. But starting that same afternoon and continuing since then, I've had spreading gum inflammation-starting in that lower back area. In addition, my right jaw is pretty painful, especially under the jaw (glands?) on one side only. So I went back to see my dentist yesterday and he couldn't tell what might be happening. He opined that it could be a virus-didn't think it was an infection. Only now, the soreness has spread up behind the upper front teeth too. Feels in the back like when you have canker sores and behind the upper front teeth that I've eaten something too hot (which I haven't). Been taking advil,which is only mildly relieving. Any ideas? Suggestions for relief? Is this pretty worrisome, or is it just like a 7 day virus??? Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It can be a viral infection. If it is, then they  usually run their course whether you treat it or not. If it does not start clearing up in 7 to 10 days then I suggest you see an oral surgeon foe a definitive diagnosis.
CLARIFICATION- I didn't have a 3/4 root canal 12 years ago-it was an attempt to remove a wisdom tooth which didn't quite get finished because of the bisecting nerve-there's a tiny piece left there, but it hasn't bothered me at all. The tooth directly in front of that did have a root canal, though,about 9 years ago-sorry for the confusion.
Thanks-the latest has been that all of my teeth have become really sore and tender-kind of like when you've just had braces put on them. Plus there's something like a skin tag in the sore area, that now has a white tip on it. Bizarre. I've been back to my dentist and am now on antibiotics and ibuprofen. He now thinks that it's a localized infection, but can't explain the teeth soreness (except to say it could be from jaw clenching; however, I don't think that's it, since it's never happened before). Any ideas about that?
i had a thorough teeth cleaning recently,one quarter of my mouth every week. my gums are inflamed its as if theres a metal spike cutting into my gums. i have pain in my ears and a sore throat.  all of this is new to me since i have never had dental issues. my mouth or teeth ''feel'' dirtyn /gravelly. mouthwash bring horrid pain . i have trouble swallowing ,not all the time but often thats it changed my eating and drinking patterns i have had AIDS for 25 years . alpot of oppurtunistic infections, i always hear in then past its HIV related it didnt start ntil the cleaning started , any suggestions for pain med or have any of you been in anything similiar, your help is appreciated, thankyou , don/dallas