Dental Health Community
Gum overlapping teeth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Gum overlapping teeth

Today I noticed that my 6 year old gum in the back of his mouth is lying on top of his back little teeth.  Today in school he was eating and a little piece of it came out, imagine how that felt with him being little.  Is this a normal thing?  Because I have never heard of this happening before.  I am in the mist of renewing his insurance and cant take him to the dentist right away.  Is there anything that I can do at home for him?  Tonight he complained about it hurting a little.  Please advise
Avatar_dr_f_tn
A dental examination is absolutely necessary for correct diagnosis and management. An overlap on teeth is caused by overcrowding of teeth due to lack of space. If the tooth is covered by gum tissue for some other reason if it is an essential tooth, it may be appropriate to remove the gum tissue. You may give him an analgesic for pain relief. Consult a general dentist and clarify your concerns. A clinical examination is absolutely necessary before confirming the treatment. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!