Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum pain after crown procedure

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum pain after crown procedure

I went to the dentist six days ago to have a crown procedure done. After the pain medication wore off I felt fine with no pain. The next day I was fine for the most part but started to get pain in the gum area where the procedure took place. Each day now the pain had spread and moved all along my gums on the side of the mouth the procedure took place. I am still wearing my temporary crown and will be for a total of three weeks due to the fact their lab is out of state. Could I have an infection from the procedure, or could I have and allergic reaction to the temporary? I don't know what else it would be. I do have allergies to some metal but not sure what types they are. I can't wear earrings of any kind due to the alergie.  To bite down doesn't hurt the tooth it is only the gum area. It has gotten to a point it hurts mildly to swallow and to move my tongue. It isn't too painful to do those things but is uncomfortable. I won't be able to contact my dentist for two more days due to the office is closed but I would like to know if you can give me any answers.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Usually the temp crown is made of plastic and not metal. It sounds to me like the temporary is not fitting correctly and I would suggest that you see the dentist to get it checked out.
sounds to me like you may have an infection or inflammation in the gum tissue around the tooth. I would certainly not hesitate to go back to the dentist who did the work and let him evaluate things. Temporaries are often bulky (if they are too thin, they crack) and can irritate gum tissue, especially if they are placed under the gumline. And yes, you may have an allergy to the acrylic or composite material that the temporary is made out of.... Your dentist should be able to help you through this but I would not wait... If you were my patient I would not be upset---- I would call him and make him aware of your problem now, and I would ask him to come in and see you over the weekend.
You would advise asking the dentist to come in over the weekend? Don't those guys have lives too? Man, I would hate if one of my clients asked me to come in on a weekend.  I guess that is just the life of a doctor...poor guy.
i always went in on the weekend if someone needed me. 1. it's the right thing to do-- and the visit is usually quick. 2. It made patients happy, who referred more patients. 3. did i mention it is the right thing to do????  sure, we have lives, but if a patient is uncomforatable and I can help....... what's the big deal ???  it's only an hour or so out of the whole weekend....
i thought EVERYONE worked weekends. I am a mom of two and a wife and run my own business but am always "available" on weekends.. of course, I love my work so that may be part of it. Sue