Gum pain around one tooth
I've had gum pain around an upper back tooth since the beginning of October. The tooth has been xrayed and everything appeared normal. The filling in the tooth is about 2 years old.  I went to the dentist in December and he could find nothing wrong with the tooth.  He told me to stop using the proxi brush between that tooth for 2 weeks to see if that was causing the problem.  At about day 13, there was no pain for 3 days, but then it returned again. It will appear and disappear, but always returns. The tooth is not sensitive to heat or cold.  It just feels like the gum tissue around the tooth is irritated. It's driving me crazy. The pain is tolerable, just annoying. Any ideas?
if the offending tooth is not periodontally or endodontically involved, possible causes of discomfort may arise from occlusal interference, muscular tooth ache,  atypical odontalgia, or trigeminal neurolgia. Thorough past history and cilinical exam can generally establish a meaningful clinical working diagnosis.