Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum pain by molar

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum pain by molar
Below my left back molar, my gums are feeling sensitive and appear slightly inflamed. I can feel some kind of ridge at the site of the pain, and it seems like the tissue near the site is jutting out a little more than it is on the other side of my mouth, but just a little so it could be swelling. It may have something to do with the fact that my wisdom teeth haven't shown up yet, though they're not overdue; I'm only eighteen.
Every other part of my mouth feels fine --it's just the area at the side of this one back molar. I didn't think it was serious at first, but it's been persisting over the past couple of days. I'd appreciate any advice.
It may be the eruption of the molar at this stage of your life.

The wisdom teeth generally erupt between the ages of 18-25 so it can vary greatly.  You may be getting yours on the earlier side potentially.