Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum pocket

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum pocket

I'm a healthy 29 year old female. However I have a gum pocket which is becoming chronic. Sometimes it's fine for a period and then all of a sudden when using dental floss I bleed considerably from the gum pocket. When this happens, I visit my dentist and after a couple of appointments it goes away for a while.

The last two times I did blood tests (including hemogram) I was bleeding from my gum and my lymphocyte count was 14 values above the normal range (all the other values were perfectly OK).

So my question is whether my increased lymphocyte levels while I'm bleeding from the gum pocket can be a result of this situation.
What did the doctor's who did the blood work indicate in regards to the increase in lymphocytes?  

What type of treatment did they do for the gums?  Just a "regular" dental cleaning or was there further treatment?
Hello, thanks for your attention.

Regarding the lymphocyte count, It was part of my annual regular check-up, nothing special. All the values on the blood test came out within the normal range, including the total number of leukocytes. The lymphocytes were merely 14 values above the upper range and my GP said this was simply a viral infection like the flu or similar. However, since I know that I have this gum problem, I'd like to ask a dentist whether it is also possible that bacteria in a gum pocket may slightly increase the lymphocytes.

My dentist cleaned the gum using a syringe directly on the gum pocket. It was not a regular dental plaque removal, since I have an otherwise healthy gum.
I would recommend increasing the home care of that area.  Did your dentist prescribe any mouthwash or recommend any changes to your home care?  That may help with the gum pocket and if it is the cause of the lymphocyte increase, it should go away. At 14 values above normal, I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage either.
Once again, thank you for your clarifying answer.

My dentist prescribed a special toothpaste and a spray mouthwash which I should apply directly on the gum pocket. I've following her indications and I'm feeling better now. This is a chronic problem though, it comes and go.
Unfortunately a gum pocket can be a permanent issue that can be slowed down or stopped from progressively getting worse but may never go away.  Keep an eye on it and if it worsens or doesn't seem to get better, I would recommend seeing a periodontist (gum specialist) and getting more options in regards to treatment options.