Dental Health Community
Gum swelling wo/pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Gum swelling wo/pain

I have a swelling on my lower right gum.  It is hard and does not hurt.  I have herpes and I wonder if it is related to this.  Can this type of abscess be lanced or drained?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
A dental examination is very important for determining the exact cause of your symptoms. It is possible that acute abscess has been developing. It is best to get an appropriate evaluation and treatment done. If there was a root canal done in the above tooth? In few cases root canals can fail due to branching and convolutions of the tooth roots. See your dentist at the earliest. Treatment will be specific based on the cause.
Best luck and regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
A dental examination is very important for determining the exact cause of your symptoms. It is possible that acute abscess has been developing. It is best to get an appropriate evaluation and treatment done. Was there  a root canal done in the above tooth? In few cases root canals can fail due to branching and convolutions of the tooth roots. See your dentist at the earliest. Treatment will be specific based on the cause.
Best luck and regards!