Dental Health Expert Forum
Gums trimmed, yikes!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gums trimmed, yikes!

I have been told that I may have to have my gums trimmed before I get new dentures on the top. I left my plate in 24/7 for 20 years (took them out in the am and pm to brush) so the Dentist said I may have to have my gums trimmed.  Just the sound of that scares me to death.  My upper denture still fits fine.  Is it necessary to have this done?? I just want an different upper denture and nothing trimmed.  Please advise me what to do and what is absolutely necessary to have done.  Thank you.  Rita DeCelles  (MeedaReeda)
Tags: Yikes!
Hi Rita,

It sounds like the trauma from wearing the denture around the clock (or maybe just time overall since its been 20 years) has cause some of the bone to recede underneath the gums.  The dentist probably feels that with that much "loose" tissue in the area, it will be hard to make a great fitting denture, which is what you want.  Since we take models of your mouth and pour it in stone, its not accurate if your gums move around.  The stone model is solid so its not a good replication.

If you're still scared about the surgery, you may want to discuss other options possibly or forego the surgery understanding that the new denture may not fit great.  

As a dentist, I would recommend the surgery since it sounds necessary.  You may want to discuss the pain management afterwards more since that seems to be more of an issue.
Thank you so much for your expert comments about my concerns. You couldn't had been more spot on. I know now I will go the the consultation scheduled for February 6th with the Oral Surgeon.  Thank you for taking the time to cover all aspects of my situation.  I really appreciate it.  All the experts on Medhelp are thorough professionals and take serious the concerns of the patient. I am so impressed with this website.  You all truly care.  Thanks again Jerome!
Yes.  Make sure you're comfortable with the oral surgeon as well, especially since he/she will be performing the procedure and managing your recovery.  Definitely find out what you need to know prior to the surgery.  

Hope you have a great speedy recovery!
Thank you again for your additional comments.  I appreciate them so very much.  You have helped me so much!