Dental Health Expert Forum
Hard Palate question

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hard Palate question
Hi, I'm a 28 yr. old female.  Suffer from anxiety/panic attacks, huge fear of cancer (grandmother died of Ovarian cancer 4 yrs. ago).  Currently taking multi-vitamin, BuSpar for anxiety and Xanax when needed also currently have a cold or sinus infection along with dry mouth.  I have a habit of looking in my mouth w/ a flash light so w/ that said... last night I was looking w/ flash light and I noticed somewhat of an indention (or small half sunken area or half size of perfect circle) about the size of half of an english pea on my hard palate toward the left center towards the soft palate.  Of course I am freaking out so I got on the computer and looked at pictures of ulcers to pictures of oral cancer and from what I saw it looks nothing like an ulcer or sore or anything like the horrible pictures.  I can only feel it with my tongue so I ran my finger over the area and I can't feel any lumps or bumps.  The color is normal (light pink) and it changes color from light pink to a darker pink then back to light pink again when I press on it or rub over it with my tongue.  There is no red ring w/ yellow center, no warty looking sore, no ulceration, no pain, no red or white patches, no bleeding. Border doesn't looked raised, it feels soft.  Since I know that I do tend to overreact and rush off to my doctors, in your professional opinion, does this sound like something that I should be concerned about (cancer)? or should I get it checked out immediately by my dentist or ENT or wait until my regular checkup w/ my dentist in March?  Thank you for your time.
It does not seem to be anything serious but for your peace of mind see an oral surgeon for a definitive diagnosis.
sounds like normal anatomy of the soft palate.
A related discussion, Hard palate was started.