Dental Health Community
Hard Sore Bump on Gum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Hard Sore Bump on Gum

Overnight I had a hard bump appear on my lower left gum.  It is a little sore, like something really irritated my gum.  The bump is fairly large (length-wise) and protrudes like a piece of bone growing horizontally out from the gum/tooth.  I've never had anything like it in my life and I am very concerned!  I have seen some references to exstoses (sp?) and gum boils but I'm not sure which this is.  
you need to see a dentist asap
Yup.  I second what turkee23 says.  It sounds like what is called a fistula.  Infection inside the tooth finally finds its way out.  It will make a path to the outside and when it reaches the gum it forms a bump.  

It does sound like you may have an infected tooth.  Taking care of it now is really your only option. If you wait, and it is an infection, eventually the fistula will get larger and the infection will spread to the periodontal ligament and bone.  The ligament carries the bacteria to the next tooth and the infection slowly and ( this is the worst part) PAINLESSLY to the next tooth.  

This is periodontal disease.  It is silent and painless.  Eventually, the bone around the tooth dissolves and the tooth starts to wiggle.  Once it can be wiggled from side to side (not back and forth) the tooth is not salvageable.  I lost four this way because of one infection.

Please do as turkee23 advised and go to your dentist.  If it is a fistula it will not get better on its own.  The only way to know for sure is to have it checked professionally.

I really don't want anyone to go through what I did all because I didn't have my "gum lump" checked.

Hope this helps.
My very best to you,
Gellia
Thanks to those of you who replied to my post!  I did see my dentist as you suggested.  What a relief!!  There was no abscess and no need for a root canal, thank God!  It is an exostosis.  I asked the dentist why it would get larger so suddenly.  He said that too much stress and/or grinding your teeth can cause it to start growing larger.  We've made plans to get me a night guard. Oh, yes, he also said that these things can "wax and wane".  Strange, huh?!