Dental Health Expert Forum
Hard bump in lower jaw/cheek

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hard bump in lower jaw/cheek

3 wks ago I had my tooth worked on at the dentist to relieve some preassure of tooth pain I was having.  No bump or swelling at that time. I finished my amoxicillan prescribed.  Three days later, I started with pain again and major swelling in cheek.  I went back into dentist and they tried to drain the hard ping pong sized lump in my lower right cheek.  I left feeling less pain, but more swelling and bigger lump/more hard.  I started new anitbiotic Clinamycin for 3 days and began getting sore throat, swollen neck, larger lump.  I went to my doctor since my dentist was on call and instructed me to.  The doctor gave me a shot of rocephan and sent me to an oral surgeon the same day.  They lanced the site but nothing drained.  I'm in so much more pain, with a sore throat, ear and neck now...even worse than before....Any ideas?
I would follow up with the oral surgeon to make sure you maintain the swelling.  If it increases and spreads to the neck or eye region, you need to go immediately to the ER.  

The antibiotics should work but it may take some time.  They may need to remove the tooth if the swelling continues.
Swelling continues for how long???  What is the time frame?
It should start to go down about 3 days after you started your last antibiotics.