Dental Health Expert Forum
Healing Time - Difficult Extraction w/ Bone Graft

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

On Wednesday, Aug 27, I had a molar (#30) removed due to a root canal and retreatment that both failed.  The root was broken.  The extraction was difficult and the tooth came out in about 8 pieces.  The periodonist/implant specialist doing the work had to go in through the side of the gum to remove everything.  He also performed a bone graft.  

It is now Sept. 1 and I'm still in a good deal of pain.  The swelling is going down every day - now there is just a little swelling that can be seen on my face, and still some inside my cheek and gum.

My first question is how long is it reasonable for the pain to last?

Next, the gum where some stitches are next to the tooth (29 I think) bleeds when I brush that tooth and it's very tender to let my top teeth touch that tooth.  It's bleeding at the stitch.  

Is this something that will heal over time and I shouldn't worry about, or do I need to go back to the doctor?
As long as the extraction area is healing fine and the pain is gradually getting better each day, I would say that you probably don't need to go back to your dentist until your scheduled post-op check.  I would imagine that your doctor made an appointment in one week to evaluate the area and possibly remove the suture if they aren't resorbable.

Bleeding is a normal occurence as well as long as you aren't bleeding profusely (like in a fresh cut wound).  

After extractions that are complicated (such as wisdom teeth), some patients do require a week or so to heal up.  Its been about 5 days so I would give it a few more days to see how it goes.  No other unusual symptoms such as fever, tiredness or anything like that is a good indication there isn't an infection.