Dental Health Expert Forum
Healing time after dry socket
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Healing time after dry socket

I had my wisdom tooth removed three weeks ago today.  I developed a dry socket after a couple of days and had it packed twice by the dentist.  After nearly two weeks the pain seemed to ease and the hole in my gum started to close up.  However, it seems to have stopped healing - still a sizeable hole in my gum - and the pain is starting to come back.  It is also very tender to touch just under my jaw where my glands are.  Should my gum be healing better than it is and should I still be experiencing pain?  
Related Discussions
540545_tn?1377626518
It may not be dry socket at this point in time.  What you may have is some food stuck in the socket since it hasn't closed up at this point.  You may want to flush the area out with a syringe or something that can forcibly put some water in there gently.  You can also try to swish to clean the area out.  If the pain is persistent or worsens, I would recommend going back to your dentist.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, when can i smoke after a dry socket was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now