Dental Health Expert Forum
Healing time after dry socket

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Healing time after dry socket
I had my wisdom tooth removed three weeks ago today.  I developed a dry socket after a couple of days and had it packed twice by the dentist.  After nearly two weeks the pain seemed to ease and the hole in my gum started to close up.  However, it seems to have stopped healing - still a sizeable hole in my gum - and the pain is starting to come back.  It is also very tender to touch just under my jaw where my glands are.  Should my gum be healing better than it is and should I still be experiencing pain?  
It may not be dry socket at this point in time.  What you may have is some food stuck in the socket since it hasn't closed up at this point.  You may want to flush the area out with a syringe or something that can forcibly put some water in there gently.  You can also try to swish to clean the area out.  If the pain is persistent or worsens, I would recommend going back to your dentist.
A related discussion, when can i smoke after a dry socket was started.