Dental Health Community
Healthy teeth...how long?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Healthy teeth...how long?

So you might have seen my other post about me not brushing my teeth for years due to a fear of it. I have conquered that fear and have been brushing my teeth for 2 months now. I do need braces. I have a severe overbite. The dentist said when i last saw him (probably back in 2008) that my teeth were "soft" and braces was out of the question right then. I also had (still have?) gingivitis. I think I have 2 more cavities that need filling . When I get all this done, and keep a steady and healthy brushing routine when will I be able to wear braces? Like when my teeth will be strong enough? Thanks.
when the dr says soft teeth he means u could get cavities easily..not that here acually soft..brushin is great but to help ur gums start flossin. if u dont know how to do it correctly usin just floss get the floss w the handels..rinisin is great to help get some bacteria outta ur mouth..and jusy make sure u get ur cleanin 2x a yr if u dr didnt say more..the way to keep ur teeth healthly if to care for yor gingivitis dont want it to turn into perio dontal disease. just like a house neeeds a good foundation so does ur teeth.hope i helped...keep on brushin:)
Make sure you use the softest toothbrush you can find and brush your teeth and gums very gently, being too aggressive can harm the enamel and injure your gums.  Get your dentist to clean your teeth to get rid of what gingivitis you do have and them brush thoroughly but gently 2-3 times a day and floss every night.  When you floss you want to make sure the floss goes just a hair below the gum line and do it gently don't jam the floss against your gums. Find a good mouthwash that kills bacteria and swish your teeth vigorously in the morning and at bedtime after brushing and flossing.  Get your teeth and mouth healthy then talk about braces. Good luck and take care.