Dental Health Expert Forum
Heat causes pain after root canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Heat causes pain after root canal

I had a root canal done but have not yet had the crown put on. It's been weeks since the RCT yet when I bite into something hot it hurts that tooth like you wouldn't believe. Cold does nothing to the tooth - just heat. My dentist can't figure it out. Any tthoughs on what's going on? Can it have anything to do with the fact that that root is so long that it is up into my sinus? Please  help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The symptom of heat in relation to a root canal tooth usually indicates that there is some gas present(caused by the bacteria) and the heat causes the gases to expand which ellicts pain. There may be an accessory canal in the tooth that has not been taken care of. I certainly would  not place a final restoration on the tooth until the symtoms (symptoms) abate. If you do not get any relief you might consider seeing a root canal specialist.(Endodontist)