Help! Pain and sensitivity after filling replacement.
I had an old amalgam filling replaced with a composite tooth colored material about 10 days ago.  I went back the day after to have the tooth filed down because my bite felt off.  It seems like the dentist took quite a bit off, even in the middle of the tooth.  I was having sensitivity to hot and cold the few days after the procedure, and that has continued into day 10.  Sometimes, I have pain with pressure on the tooth when eating, and that has only been recently in the past 2 days (not pressure sensitive previously).  There seems to be some lingering pain after eating for an hour or two.  I have been using some tylenol to minimize the pain.  The pain has never been severe or excruciating.  It is mild, but enough to be annoying.  The pain is never constant, and seems intermittent.  I am worried based on what I read about the possibility of infection in the pulp.  I know that it is normal to have some sensitivity to hot/cold with this kind of procedure.  I called my dentist office today and they said that could last for a month.  I did not tell about the occasional sensitivity to pressure and mild lingering pain that is intermittent.  I have no problem waiting it out for another couple weeks, but I want to make sure I'm not exposing myself to something that might be treatable now before it gets worse.  I realize things like this happen, and I'm feeling embarrassed like a hypochondriac.  Any thoughts?  Is it safe to just wait it out for a couple more weeks?  Would it help the tooth to heal if I just chewed on the other side and really babied it for awhile?
Ah by the way, after the first bite adjustment, my bite felt fine.  It does not feel like my bite is off.
It is possible that the pain will resolve itself.  Try switching to an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen if you can take it.  Inflammation may be present from the filling trauma.

Also, the problem with those pretty white composite fillings is that they transmit both hot and cold far easier than the older amalgam fillings did.   If the filling was close to the nerve, that may be part of the problem.  That should also resolve itself as your tooth gets used to the white filling.

Hopefully, that will be all it is.  If it still hurts in another week or so, you may be having an infection in the tooth brewing.  If it is infection, it will get a lot worse, not stay the same or feel better.  Do some warm salt water rinses ( 1/4tsp to 8oz) and see if that helps relieve it, too.

That's about all you can do.  It is a waiting game.  Worse care scenario is that you would need that tooth root canaled.

Good luck and let's hope it just needs some time to recover from the trauma.

Best to you,
Gellia

Thanks Gellia.  It sounds like if it was infected, I'd know it, and it wouldn't be unclear.  The pain would be more severe and getting worse.  Since I do not have constant pain, infection seems unlikely at this stage.  Do you know what happens in the tooth as it "gets used to the filling"?  Does inflammation in the pulp diminish?  

Thanks for the help.

Did you work in dentistry?