Aa
A
A
Close
4704700 tn?1358336570
Horizontally Impacted Third Molar
Hi. My left, lower, third molar is horizontally impacted and has caused a cyst below my second molar which has resulted in an infection. I'm a 33-year-old male.

It was recommended to me that I have the second molar removed and that I should then hope that perhaps the horizontal, third molar will decide to take the place of the second molar that it seems so eager to destroy. I have already had endodontic therapy on the second molar in question.

Should I simply go ahead and have the second molar removed, or should I go for extraction of the third molar...in spite of my age and other factors?

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Vackus
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
It depends on whether second molar is salvavle or not. If second molar is hopeless, removal of impacted third molar is probably meaningless.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
4704700 tn?1358336570
Scottma,

Thanks a lot for the reply.  The second molar has already been through endodontic therapy, but there is a cyst that has developed below it due to the abscess.  I guess it was recommended to me that the second molar be extracted due to the cyst below it, and due to the fact that the tooth has been through a lot.  It's in generally good shape, though -- at least superficially.  I have an appointment with my dentist this Friday, so I'll see what he says.  Thanks again.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources