Dental Health Community
Horizontally Impacted Third Molar
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Horizontally Impacted Third Molar

Hi. My left, lower, third molar is horizontally impacted and has caused a cyst below my second molar which has resulted in an infection. I'm a 33-year-old male.

It was recommended to me that I have the second molar removed and that I should then hope that perhaps the horizontal, third molar will decide to take the place of the second molar that it seems so eager to destroy. I have already had endodontic therapy on the second molar in question.

Should I simply go ahead and have the second molar removed, or should I go for extraction of the third molar...in spite of my age and other factors?

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Vackus
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It depends on whether second molar is salvavle or not. If second molar is hopeless, removal of impacted third molar is probably meaningless.
Blank
4704700_tn?1358336570
Scottma,

Thanks a lot for the reply.  The second molar has already been through endodontic therapy, but there is a cyst that has developed below it due to the abscess.  I guess it was recommended to me that the second molar be extracted due to the cyst below it, and due to the fact that the tooth has been through a lot.  It's in generally good shape, though -- at least superficially.  I have an appointment with my dentist this Friday, so I'll see what he says.  Thanks again.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank