Dental Health Community
Horrible experience with Temp. Crowns.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Horrible experience with Temp. Crowns.

I had two root canals on I think #30 and #29(the last two bottom right) without any problems and little pain. When I had the core build ups and temp. crowns placed no problems and little pain.  I went in to have the permanent crowns put in and they did not fit.  I spent over two hours in the chair while my dentist tried to get the crowns to fit and then multiple remolding for new ones and my dentist replaced with the same temp. crowns.  I was painful afterwards mostly in my joint and gum. After a few days the joint pain decreased but the gums became very painful, throbbing and swollen. Returned to the dentist and she said that one of the temp crowns was irritating the gum, she cut it down and replace it. After two days...still very painful, throbbing and swollen.  So much that you can feel and see on my cheek. I am in tears at this point, and back to the dentist. My dentist removes both temp crowns saying they are irritating the gums and xrays the area. No infection, no obvious damage to the teeth but she said that she thought that some of the pain was muscle and/or joint related because of the length of time my mouth was opened. She does not replace the temp crowns. I am 24 hours without the temp crowns and my gums are less swollen and painful, however the swelling around the jaw bone is still present. I am really afraid to have permanent crowns with permanent cement put in my mouth after this experience coupled with my dentist almost fanatic attempt to place the first set of permanent crowns which were too big(I could not bite down) and I could feel a large gap between my gum and crown(I could stick my tongue in it).  Should I get a second opinion about this problem, because my dentist seems not to believe the level of discomfort?   Should I suggest to my dentist to use a temp cement until I know that I will not be a pain with the permanent crowns?  Thank you for any advice you can provide...
Cementation of final crown with temporary cement is correct.