Dental Health Expert Forum
Hot/cold sensitive crown + Molar chewing pain +++

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I will be using this chart for reference:

http://www.goodsamdental.org/Mexico_Dental_Tooth_2.jpg

Part 1:

I have had alot of cavities and problems with my 4 front upper teeth (7-10). I have crowns on 8 and 9 but not sure if it is veeners or crowns at 7 and 10, but there is no big problem with them.

I have had a previous crown at 8 since the tooth was so damaged, later I got a gray stain on it, x-ray said nothing (they've never seen it before they said) so they drilled it up and found out it was just a pocket of air or something of the like, so they sealed it back up with a new crown.

I have extreme sensitivity on the back and front of that tooth, + tooth 9. I have developed muscle memory to keep my tongue near the gumline to block it whenever I drink/eat something. Breathing in air makes it hurt too. I must also add that I use a tobacco product called snus (pouch of tobacco that goes under the upper-lip), which is known to retract the gums. What is happening here? Have all my bad diet habits forced my gums to retract, exposing the dentin/root/nerves which causes the sensitivity? And what would I do with it? Root canal? Is RCT on crowned front teeth hard to do?

Part 2:

Tooth number 30. I have had a cavity in the side of it, which then was filled up by a filling (maybe half a year ago). Whenever I chew something on that particular tooth, I experience pain. Is it a bad filling? Is my bite all messed up? Bad dentist? And what would the procedure be here, another root canal? Or could they just simply "fix" any gap/filling?

Part 3:

My teeth are pretty yellow, and I hate how they look. I reckon this is because of the enamel being shredded away by acidic foods/drinks and poor dental hygiene. Do some people naturally have stronger teeth? I'm thinking genetics here, because I always hear about people not brushing for months and their teeth are still white and no cavities. I didn't start flossing until my late-teens, didn't know the importance of it back then.
1)  If there's a gap in the crown, it can result in sensitivity.  If there's excess cement, it can cause sensitivity.  If there's too much trauma or injury to the tooth, it can also do it.  There's alot of possibilities.

2)  Try adjusting the bite first and see it that fixes it

3) It definitely seems like there are people who are more or less prone to certain diseases