Dental Health Community
How long for abrasion to heal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

How long for abrasion to heal?

I noticed a spot on the inside of my mouth, below/ between teeth 27 and 28 on May 21st.  I thought it was a canker sore forming. It's quite small, not sore but hasn't changed since I found it. It's slightly pink with a lighter spot in the center.  When I first noticed it, it felt like loose skin.

I went to my dentist today and she re x-rayed. I'd just had my cleaning and exam on May 12th with panorama and 4 bite wing x-rays.  She said all teeth in that area are healthy with no signs of concern.

She thinks this is an abrasion and will see me again in a week but said most injuries heal within a few day.  She also said this doesn't look anything like an oral cancer and is in a spot that would be extremely rare (esp. since I'm a non (never)  smoker/ gave up social drinking 20 years ago  and never tested positive for HPV, etc.)  I am an awful hypochondriac since colon cancer.

How long does an abrasion from an injury (I'm wondering pretzel or lemon drop/ tooth brush) take to heal.  Any other thoughts on what this might be?  Mucocele? Can a canker sore stay small and never hurt? I know they can take weeks to heal.  Any thoughts?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Toothbrush abrasion may cause the roots of your teeth to be exposed since they don't have enamel on them. Enamel protects the nerves in the teeth from thermal changes. Minor canker sores usually heal in 1-2 weeks and cause no scarring. But major canker sores can take a much longer time to heal than minor canker sores. The average healing time for these sores is about six weeks .Smoking and tobacco use are linked to oral cancer .It can cause a sore, lump, or ulcer in the mouth which is usually painless at first and may be pale colored or dark and discolored. Discuss your concerns with your doctor and treatment will depend on the underlying cause. A physical examination is necessary for correct diagnosis and management. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!
.
Roots are NOT exposed.  This does NOT feel like a canker sore.  Actually, this looks like a http://o.quizlet.com/LVXENkbrrvLps-1MaltQOA_m.png Retrocuspid papilla.  It's still there after 2 weeks, tho it might have been there longer and I just had never noticed it.

I was thinking about this and wondered if wearing a bottom teeth night guard for about 4 years might have caused a trauma fibroma.  I replaced it with a store bought upper night guard about a month ago because it had started to fall apart and I'd actually cut away some of the material because of the fraying.  

NEVER smoked. No social drinking in around 20 years. Never tested positive for HPV.  Age 62. Female.

Follow up with doc this week.
Since it's not changing and doesn't feel like a canker sore, you might want to google "torus" or "tori".

Claire
It's much higher up just  a few mm under the two teeth.  I know what the tori are.  My hygienist has that to a severe degree.   Thanks, tho.

Simple abrasion/ trauma.  My regular dentist said it has gotten much smaller since I stopped fooling with it but had already made me an appt. with my oral surgeon.  

He checked it over and then did 6 special digital x-rays because I'd gone to him a few weeks ago worried about salivary stones. Everything is perfect.  Not a sign of anything anywhere.  

HE told me to stop bothering the spot and it'll go away eventually but there is nothing wrong with any of my teeth, bones, gum, glands, etc.