Dental Health Expert Forum
How long should I hurt after a root canal?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

How long should my tooth hurt after a root canal?  I have searched the archives, and apparently it is very common to have discomfort after a root canal, but how long should that last before I suspect a problem?  I had a root canal one week ago and I still have a throbbing pain in that tooth.  It is not unbearable, but I am concerned.  I'm supposed to have the permanent crown put on soon and I don't want to do that step if something is still wrong.  Should I still be hurting?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would not place the crown until the tooth is asymptomatic. The root canal tooth should be taken out of occlusion so that you can not bite on it. If the tooth is improving a little bit every day then I think you are on the right path, if not I think you need to see the doctor.
My last root canal, a year ago, resulted in throbbing pain for TWO full weeks then a gradual easing of the pain.  It worried me quite a bit, in fact, because I've had five others and none of them resulted in that much pain.

But after two weeks, once the temp was off and the tooth was filled and the new crown was on, the pain completely disappeared completely and that tooth has only felt great since!

Be very careful biting on it though.  Until you have it filled by your dentist and have the permanent crown on, your root is very delicate and could crack if you bit on it too much (I was biting on it just to test the pain and both the endodontist's office and my dentist's office were like "DON'T DO THAT!")
A related discussion, root canal injection site still hurts was started.
A related discussion, Root Canal was started.