Dental Health Community
How much time do I have to save up for root canal? (x-ray inside)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I went to the dentist yesterday and he told me I needed to get the root canal procedure done because I have a large cavity that can't be fixed.

It's my left molar and I haven't had a toothache yet, just some discomfort when I drink cold water, sometimes.
I got my right molar removed because it was abscessed and I went through the most excruciating pain... I don't want to go through the same but at the same time I don't want to lose my other molar because I am used to chew food from that side of my mouth. However, I don't have enough money for a root canal, I need to save $1200 and I think I will be able to get that money in 4-6 weeks..

I drew a picture of the X-Ray the dentist showed me. Do you think I have enough time to save? I've heard of people who've been told they needed a root canal and waited for even a year, I just need 6 weeks tops, will I be able to make it before the cavity infects the pulp and I get another abscessed tooth?

Here's the drawing:

http://i.imgur.com/VJpOj.jpg
Hi there!

The cost of a root canal differs by doctor, by tooth and by degree of difficulty. Larger teeth and more canals tend to be more expensive. In my experience, they range from $450-650 without insurance. You can still expect to cover 20-40% even if you have insurance. That being said, if you need a root canal, get it done. Do not wait. A situation the likes of which demand a root canal only gets worse with time.

In my experience in the USA root canals go for anywhere from $800 - $1500. You also need to add the cost of a crown in most cases which is an additional $800 -$1200. Typical cost without insurance is $2,000 per tooth for both. There are ways to reduce that cost. The obvious one is through insurance if you already have it. The less known way is through one of the discount dental plans available nationwide. These will save you $30-60% on the root canal procedure.

It depends on the tooth, the dentist, your location, and on the complexity of the canal. What you can do to protect yourself from the high cost is to get a good dental plan that can reduce your cost by hundreds of dollars, as much as 60%.
Front teeth usually have only one root so they cost less then back teeth that have 2 or 3 roots, average cost JUST of root canal, no crown, is 500 to 900 dollars.
                                             Take care raizguana!!