Dental Health Community
How to care tooth properly ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

How to care tooth properly ?

In spite of brushing the tooth daily my tooth got infected and i had to break the tooth. Kindly explain that how to protect tooth so that it could remain healthy.
A use of a good fluoride toothpaste is a start, this will help to prevent decay.
Brushing twice daily using a circular motion and making sure to brush the gums also.
Use of interdental aids such as floss/interdental brushes.
Use of a mouthwash at a different time to brushing.
Maintaing a healthy low sugar diet, sugar is the worst enemy for teeth, stick to eating 3 meals a day and limit all sugary foods and drinks to meal times. Don't snack between meals and only drink water or milk. Also look out for hidden sugars, these are in things such as baked beans and crisps. And try not to eat too much fruit, although it is good for your health, fruit contains natural sugars.
One last tip, if their is bleeding when you brush/floss, don't let this scare you, carry on brushing. The bleeding is a sign there is bacteria present and this bacteria is bad for the teeth and gums and needs to be removed.

Hope this helps
Dental Nurse
I asked the same question to my dentist, and he replied: just do not intake any sugar!

Now I am using a toothpaste for acid removal.
Welp decreasing sugary intake is one of the things to do. I would suggest talking to your Dental Hygienist on how to take care of your teeth better. :)

Fluorided toothpaste will help with some sensitivity (if you are experiencing any) and actually preventing/healing minor carious lesions. It'll make your tooth stronger. Some people go a bit crazy on fluorided things, so I would suggest talking to your dentist/RDH to what sort of toothpaste you should be using (One may be prescribe if you are at a higher risk of caries).

Brushing your teeth twice daily. Another thing which is important is to know HOW to brush your teeth. I for one am guilty in brushing my teeth way too hard. Rule of thumb: if your hand starts hurting when brushing your teeth, your are brushing TOO hard. So use your non-dominant hand. Use Bass technique to brush your teeth (it is basically angling your toothbrush 45 degrees to your gums).

Flossing is important, some like waxed floss...others don't. It is personal preference. Interdental aids MAY be used, but again you should talk to your dental professionals about it. You may or may not be needing them depending on your oral health (example: regular floss for patients with normal health vs things like superfloss, rubber cups and even gauze to help folks who are more periodontally involved)

Make sure to clean your tongue too. Most of that bad taste/smell comes from your tongue. It is recommended to use 2 different brushes for teeth and tongue, but hey you can use the same toothbrush (rinsing it in warm water prior to cleaning either is advised).

What else...sugary snacks, soda drink, smoking...bunch of other stuff.

Some would say going for professional cleaning every 6 months. Sure, but again 6 months visits were set by insurance companies. Patients who are move involved may need to be visiting their health providers more often. Example: more periodontally involved, patients in bracers, teenagers going through puberty, some even suggest pregnant patients (I do believe though those prior to last trimester).

It was mentioned earlier that bleeding IS sign for something been in the gums. I would like to add that it may be a sign of flossing/brushing too hard.

You can do a quick search on interactive tutorials for toothbrushing/flossing. I think I saw one which was done beautifully by either American Dental Association or Perio association. Colgate has a good one too:
http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Interactive-Guides/Guide-to-Brushing.cvsp

*tips hat* Hope this help!
Thanks for useful suggestion