Dental Health Community
I just found out that i need every tooth extracted and will need dentur...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I just found out that i need every tooth extracted and will need dentures. Is it better to have them pulled at the same time?

I Finally got into the local dental clinic and saw a dentist for the first time in 6 years.  They told me that I will need almost all of my teeth pulled, but with the condition of the few teeth that are fixable, the more feasible option would be to remove them as well instead of paying extra for core buildups and crowns and just get full dentures.  So that leaves me with the following question:
Is it better in your opinion or from your own experience to have them pulled all at once or bit by bit?
In my situation, I have been in chronic dental pain for the past 2 years and would like to be able to eat REAL FOODS again as soon as possible.  There is an approx. 7 week heal time for the pulling of multiple teeth.  So I can either go 6 times every 7 weeks or so and pay separate fees for each visit ($40 a visit, plus extraction/anesthetics fees), or just go toothless for 7 weeks ($195 IV sedation fee, including all teeth being pulled and $40 visit one time).  The only real thing that bothers me at the moment is the embarrassment of being 23 and having no teeth for 2-3 months.
60%
 (6) 
Pull them all at once.
10%
 (1) 
Pull them a few at a time.
30%
 (3) 
Get a second opinion.
10 Members voted
voted for the second opinion. you are very young to be going the denture route. maybe a different dentist would have a better treatment plan. the main question is why are your teeth so poor? do you have a dental condition, drug use, lack of care? finding the cause of your problems should be the first step. if you really need all your teeth removed i would choose the all at once procedure. if it was me i would rather get the whole thing over with instead of the stress of a little bit here and there.
I probably should have linked to my earlier question to a dentist which also includes a brief summary of why my teeth are so bad..

10 years ago i had braces put on, 4 years later i stopped going to that dentist/orthodontist due to verbal harassment and abuse.  Since then all other dentists and clinics have refused to treat me due to liability risks. for the past year i have diligently cleaned my mouth between every meal but this just started a little over a week ago. I currently have a couple holes in the gums where the outer shell is still under the gumline and the gums are trying to "heal" over them and more exposed pulp than i have actual teeth.
The first thing needs be done is extraction of hopeless teeth, which requires professional evaluation. However, extraction of tooth frequently is influenced by financial affodability, particularly in the U.S.At your age, non-recuable teeth are probably due to caries, in stead of advanced periodontitis.if the reason for extraction is non-restorable tooth, multiple extraction in one visit tends to give you more post-op pain.Post-op pain of single extraction is much less, sometimes painless, depending on the site.
Chewing function of full denture is approximately 15-30% of natural teeth.It has been consistently reported from my patients that tough fibous food can not be groud into small paricles. in addition, sesames can get trapped underneath of full lower dentures.Certainly, sticky food is not allowed.Cosmetically, if full denture is fabricated correctly, it gievs very satisfactory result.If upper definitely needs to be edntulous, it is usually no problem. However, full lower is completlely different situation.if you can save some roots of lower teeth, overdenture works much better than complete full lower dnture. Or, implant supported overdenture works extremely well.
The one dentist who was willing to see me before going to the clinic (the ones who actually told me that the only people that they know of will help me was the clinic) had told me that by looking at the state of my mouth, that the end result would probably be full dentures.  While at the clinic, the dentist there told me that with the state that my teeth are in, what few are salvageable, are not worth the price of building up because they would not be enough to support a bridge.

As for the chewing function decrease, my teeth are currently at about a 5%, i'm lucky to be able to eat a single meal a day without pain.  However, i will need to research the risks of food getting stuck under fixed dental implants as that is what they suggest i apply to be a candidate for.
im sorry to hear about your situation. i dont understand why leaving braces on your teeth did that though, did you completly stop brushing your teeth for a few years, i see it says in the last year you have brushed inbetween meals.

as for dentures if your going to get teeth pulled, i would do it all at once. they will most likely put you to sleep and you wont feel it after.. my mom just had that done (53) and she was sleeping for about 3 or 4 days after with all the pain meds. going back and forth would be alot on your mouth and after the first time you might not wanna go back ( like you braces), your right if only saving a few teeth is what they said, then just pull them. why spend money on crowns and what not if you really dont have to....dentures are not easy and my mom still has alot of problems with her and its been about a year, your gums are shrinking all the time or if something gets stuck like he said its way uncomfortable. even while eating the dentures move around, if you dont have them "glued" in....

im sorry your mouth is like this  wish i could help..... take care let us know what happens...

dental student and your friend Kristyn
I was in the same situation and had all my teeth pulled at once and had what is called immeditate dentures.  After your teeth are pulled in go the dentures and after about 6-7 weeks you get permanent dentures.  Inquire with your dentist about the immediate dentures.I  had absolutely no pain after the extractiions.  What Turkee said was true for me.  Dentures are difficult but I do know many people that have no problems.  Let us know how you are doing.
Nudma
I agree with the last 2 posts.  If your teeth are in bad shape, it's best to do it all at once, and it would be very time consuming, and a lot of time and travel to keep returning for other options.  I know many people who have done this with no regrets.
go to a prostodontist. you can keep all that are viable. they now make a type of denture that has a hole for the teeth retained ( which ever are healthy ) called an overdenture. You ABSOLUTELY NEVER want them pulled at once. Treat any infection - get a second third fourth opinion. Pulling any tooth is a LAST resort. I had severe assault on my mouth and I have spent nearly a average home price in restorations. I feel for you. Conservation is the best approach. get BIOTENE toothpaste and mouthwash and a tongue scaper as well as a portable or counter type waterpik. Use the h2o pic with warm water and see if you can get some healthy condition prior to going thur with any extractions. YOU WOULD BE shocked how long a wingly tooth can last. Save ALL you can though. Good luck and GOD bless you.(from a patient -not a dentist)p.s apparently a lower denture is the hardest to get used too. The teeth you save will help anchor and stabilize the denture. the dentist can alter the denture to match OR your teeth cosmetically treated to match an overdenture. Eitherway- never I MEAN NEVER go artifical for appearance sake. Also please CHECK OUT YOUR dentist . There is a HUGE trend in dentistry to do COSMETIC over what works. Given form over function always choose how they function first. Steer away from anyone who rountinely does cosmetic work ( it is a money mill). If you have any questions i will be here.