Dental Health Community
I scratched my gums, now the jaw bone is exposed.
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I scratched my gums, now the jaw bone is exposed.

I was groovin' on a plate of nachos last weekend, and in my joy of a chip, the corner cut the gums on the inner side of the left side of my jaw. Right where a wisdom tooth would be (pulled years ago) and where the left side of my tongue rests against the inner jaw. Folks scratch their gums in all kinds of chip incidents all the time, but this has caused a small (about 1/4") exposed area on my jaw bone. I've held out thinking it would heal on it's own, as most oral scratches tend to. But by the end of Tuesday afternoon, my left gland was swollen and the area was very tender. Orajel has helped, but eventually it wears off...  Thursday the gland was all fine and the tenderness way starting to dissipate. But the 'hole' there just will not close up..Grant it, it's a lot smaller today than it was four days ago, but it's taking forever.... I've called and requested an immediate visit with my regular dentist. I expect to hear from them tomorrow. I guess what I am wondering is... Is this more common than I am aware of? Can it potentially cause irreversible damages (worst case scenario)  or long lasting issues if the spot doesn't cover back over with gum tissue? And.. Can the area even BE re-covered through small stitches or grafting or whatever?  Thanks in advance for any responses and Safe Journeys to y'all...Arreaux (pronounced Arrow)