Dental Health Community
IS PEROXIDE RINSE GOOD TO KEEP HEALTY GUMS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

hi does anyone know if its safe and good to rinse with peroxide once a day or mix it with water to keep your gums healthy and help prevent gum disease in the future
Tags: peroxide, gums
You could copy and paste the web address below and check out this information on hydrogen peroxide and its uses:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/hydrogen_peroxide.html

If you scroll halfway down the page on the site, you will come to a list called "Questions and Answers" and under each category are people's stories on how long they've been using this stuff and the wonders of it.   I was quite amazed.......yes people do rinse daily with it to keep their teeth and gums healthy because of its bacterial killing power.   And people even swallow the stuff diluted to cure all sorts of ailments.   They're obviously still alive to be able to write in and tell their stories so I'm thinking of asking my pharmacist about it.
Personally I would not take chances. You can build bombs with that stuff, launch rockets, bleach hair, scrub your bathtub, whiten teeth, inject yourself with it and die...I just can not imagine it will be harmless even though it is said to be safe. I have tried to take shortcuts by gargling with other therapeutic rinses but nothing is a s effective as good old flossing.
I tend to agree with you Trialanderror.   After reading people's testimonies, it sounds like an amazing remedy for some ailments but does anyone really know the long term effects it has on the body?   Although it would be handy to have around in case you needed to build a bomb in a hurry  :-)
I haven't read that link, but I would be skeptical about drinking Hydrogen Peroxide diluted or not. That sounds kind of nuts to me, and I'm pretty open minded.
With that said, I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a diluted rinse with hydrogen peroxide every so often.
I mean, most hydrogen peroxide bottles say safe for oral use right on the label. I just wouldn't over do it...since it is antibacterial, I would be worried about altering the mouth's natural flora.
You can build a bomb out of just about anything. You can bleach your hair with lemons too, so should we stop eating them? I would not recommend anyone swallow peroxide ever. Considering it's in most toothpaste and some mothwashes you're ok. Rinse with water afterward though so you don't swallow any.