Dental Health Community
I'm fustrated!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I'm fustrated!

Hello I had bridge work done a couple of weeks ago and I was in alot of discomfort with sensitivity to any kind of liquids and food.  After 2 weeks of just trying to hold of until my permanent bridge (teeth) came in, I finally called and my bridge so happen to come in that day.  So the dentist said I had leakage on my temp. and when they removed the temp. it hurt sooo much that even me breathing in and out was PAINFUL! My dentist went ahead and numbed me and put in my new bridge and said the sensitivity should go down significantly..but I'm still achy and to be honest I feel scared going back to him...How much is it normal to have sensitivity and achiness after bridge work? This was done Friday and its Sunday..I usually can take pain but all together I've had the pain now for 3 weeks and I'm sick of it! Please help with my questions.
Many times when bridge work is done it "upsets" one of the supporting teeth.  Sounds like that is what has happened to you.  

When they grind a tooth down to make it ready to hold a crown or bridge it can get close to the nerve.  Over time, the supporting tooth can get decay in it and the bridge loosens.  It's one of the drawbacks of a bridge because it does happen.  It sounds as though any decay with the tooth has reached the nerve.  You may need a root canal done on that tooth.

It's also possible it will calm down.  The trauma from removing a bridge can also create the same feeling.  That's why your dentist said it to give it a chance to calm down.

This can take a few weeks.  If the pain is becoming more severe you would probably need that RC done.

Hope this helps.  Try to baby it for awhile and it may resolve itself.  If not, get back to your dentist (don't be afraid -  he's being correctly conservative) and see if a RC won't do the trick.  

Best to you and let us know how you do.  GOOD LUCK.
Gellia