Dental Health Expert Forum
Immediate denture pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Immediate denture pain

5 days ago had 5 top teeth extracted and immediate denture placed.  Severe pain and sore spots.  Went to the dentist yesterday and he smoothed the denture and treated 2 dry sockets.  Today I still have pain.  The sore spots are aching and I can only stand to have the denture in for an hour or two at a time.  Is it just because they need to heal?  My whole top gum is aching as well.  Is this normal?  It hurts everytime I try to bite down.  How long before I will be pain free and the soreness will subside?  How long before I will be able to eat normally again?  Please help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I don't know if the discomfort is from the dry sockets that have not healed or the denture sores. If it is from the dry sockets that will take some time to heal, if it is from the denture itself then I think that further adjustments are necessary.It is not normal for you to be able to wear the denture for that short period of time and I think you need to see the dentist again. How long it will take you to eat normally is a difficult question but you must be out of pain to make the adjustment to wearing the denture.
sequestrae.....pieces of bone i bet that is what it is, since that is what i have, they are under gum and dentures rub them spots.....owwie
A related discussion, New Denture Pain was started.