Dental Health Expert Forum
Immediate dentures: on-going pain after seven weeks

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

My elderly dad had all teeth removed and immediate dentures placed on January 3rd. Total cost approximately $20,000.  Being extraordinarily active and agile, he had no problem from day one with the mechanics of speech or  eating.  However, seven weeks later, he is still in severe pain (unless he removes the  dentures and allows the pain to slowly subside).  He still can only consume pureed foods and, although he was thin to begin, has lost weight and is becoming weaker.  He is very stoic, follows all doctor instructions to the letter,  and does not press the dentist who has been pooh-poohing his pain level on the "relining" visits.  Relining makes no difference in the pain.  During these visits, the dentist does pull teeth fragments out of dad's mouth (which appalls me as I'd think it would be appropriate to order an x-ray to see what chunks of teeth remain in his jaw and get them out.)  Doctor says this is normal and he will remove teeth fragments "as they work their way to the surface of the gum".  

Should I try to get Dad to another dentist for Xrays?  What might be the problem, after seven weeks?  Dentist will not acknowledge a problem.
Tags: ongoing pain dentures
Sometimes after removal of teeth, there can be small fragments of bone which will work themselves out.  The dentist can potentially numb your father again and go back into the surgical site and try to smooth down or remove any of the bone fragments if they're painful.  My assumption is that there are certain areas which hurt and not the entire mouth.