Dental Health Community
Imminent tooth extraction...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Imminent tooth extraction...

Hello!

My first upper left molar (number 14) has to be extracted. I've not got my wisdom teeth so that means one molar will remain just behind it. I've got all the rest of my teeth intact fortunately! It's being extracted because it has cracked, virtually in two. I've got a temporary filling in it at the moment whilst I decide what to do, but the dentist says this is a short-term solution and it will keep getting infected.

The options are a bridge or an implant, or, of course, live without the tooth. I don't like the idea of a bridge, an implant sounds a much more sound solution, and of course the most expensive option. Around £3,000! No way can I afford that, at least not presently.

When I mentioned this to a friend he said, "Oh, I've got three missing molars and get on fine, no problem! You get used to it!" I find that hard to believe I guess! Anyway what I'm wondering is WOULD I get used to it? Like not even notice it's not there after a while? Or will it always feel weird and will I always be fiddling with it? Are there other downsides to not replacing it? How long can I wait before I decide? I'm 53 years old by the way, which might have some bearing on the answer!

Also my dentist assures me that the extraction won't hurt. Is that true? I've never had anything quite as dramatic as this done at the dentist so I'm a bit worried.

I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks!!!!
Hi and welcome. I would never have a molar extracted, only as a absolute last resort. Once its out its out. Why would you have this taken out when they can do a root canal and make an individual crown?
Hi, thanks!  The tooth is severely cracked.  The crack goes all the way through the tooth, my tooth is essentially split in two!  The dentist said that because of this an individual crown is impossible.  Does that seem right to you?
I'm 63 and have been without 2 molars for more years than I can remember and have had no issues.  You DO get used to it and it doesn't interfere with eating or anything else.  Except for the two molars, I still have all my teeth and they are very healthy except for one.  It has a filling and is cracked but my dentist says "why do anything until it causes you a problem?"  That was about 7 years ago and it still has not given me any problems. My husband has temporary fillings that have been in for years.  Once you have it extracted if you are unhappy (don't think you will be) you can start to save for an implant.  Having a tooth extracted does not hurt nor do the shots to numb the area.  I don't like bridges because as we age our gums tend to recede which allows food and bacteria to get under the bridge and cause decay, then we have a new and bigger problem.  I would get it extracted and if you're not happy start saving for the implant, but I really think you'll be fine without it. Take care.
Thanks for your advice!  I think I will most likely just have it out once the temporary filling is no longer sufficient and see how I get on without it!  My first reaction was, "I couldn't possibly do with a missing tooth!", but when you talk to people you find out that many have been getting on fine without several molars for some time, like yourself.  So I am definitely encouraged by that, thanks!
Ive had extensive dental work and the dentist always was able to save the tooth even if cracked in half. They grind it down to below the gum line, drill a hole and put a post in. The crown is attached to the post. I cant believe your tooth is cracked all the way down to the root below your gum level.
talk to the dentist again as you dont want to loose teeth if possible. Once its out its out and the only real option is a implant other than a bridge.
Thanks for that, I will ask him about that and if he insists it has to come out I am going to get a second opinion!  I've got a temporary filling in place so hopefully that might last for some time and I won't have to worry about it straight away.