Dental Health Expert Forum
Incomplete Extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Incomplete Extraction

I had my top right last molar extracted yesterday and as the Dentist was extracting the tooth I felt and heard the roots
being snapped and broken off.  After the extraction the Dr. told me she was going to leave the roots in there because
they were in the sinus and she didn't want to dig around for them. She told me they would work themselves out in a couple of months and it was safer to just leave them. The last molar I had extracted was on the bottom left side and although he had to dig into my jaw bone to get them the Surgeon took the entire tooth.  My question is: Is this really the safe thing to do leave them in there and will they work themselves out through the skin?  
There is always a concern that with root tips near the sinus, you could potentially push the root into the sinus while attempting to extract them.  This would result in a more complex procedure of removing the root tip out of the sinus.  

I personally have never left a root tip intentionally inside the mouth.  I always remove them and am not sure about the safety of leaving it there.  I have seen broken teeth with roots in a patient's mouth and they do indeed work themselves out over time.  

I would post this question in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery section to get a second opinion from the oral surgeon.