Dental Health Community
Infant with severe bleeding in mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Infant with severe bleeding in mouth

My one year old son had this problem: all of a sudden he got a fever, started drooling alot and felt very unwell. I thought he just was getting a flu but then this awful smell came from his mouth. Whenever i tried to brush his teeth his mouth would start bleeding and a large amount of blood would come pouring out. It appears to be bleeding from behind the two front teeth. I went to the doctor and they had no idea so i went to the dentist and they said to just persist with cleaning it as it was probably just gingivitis. But i cannot understand this as he always eats healthy, he never eats sugary foods, he mainly eats fruit all day including apples!! I always try to brush his teeth everynight even though he screams the house down, the only spot that gets a good brushing is just behind the two front teeth. Im thinking maybe he has sensitive skin and the brushing aggravated it to the point of bleeding?? I dont know of other children who scream so much when getting there teeth brushed, can some peoples gums be extra sensitive??

Anyway, after a week of torturing the poor child with a tooth brush and seeing litres of blood go down the drain, he refused to eat and drink and cried non stop, I went back to the dentist who then booked me in for an immediate look in his mouth under general anaesthetic at the hospital. She couldnt see any plaque build up, decay, holes that required fillings, absolutely nothing but the skin behind the two front teeth had detached and was like a giant flap leaving a hole that kept bleeding. She said she did a thorough clean and scraped away some of the flap of skin. After a few days he started eating and drinking again and the bleeding stopped, only a little bit of blood came when we started brushing again a few days after hospital.
The dentist said that we are to keep his teeth clean but trying to brush his teeth everynight is like a war, he just screams like he is in intense pain and i feel so awful, he kicks and rolls over my husband literally has to pin him down which makes the whole ordeal extremely stressful for everyone. He gets so intense that it takes an hour for him to calm down with lots of cuddles from mummy and daddy which leaves me in tears aswell. Can i just use a chlorhexidine gel or a tooth mousse or some other product that you could recommend instead of brushing everynight??

Lot of systemic problems have their manifestations in mouth...if the teeth look ok you might want to get blood picture done and have it seen by physician. Hope it helps!!
you are using an extra small, extra soft brush made for infants? even a soft adult brush could damage a babys sensitive gums.