Dental Health Community
Infected root Canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Infected root Canal

I had a root canal and cap put on my upper tooth 8 yrs ago.  It seems like it got loose, has a slight black ring around the top, but does not ache at all.  He told me it had an infection, needed to come out and put a bridge in ($4400.00 on top of the $3000.00 for the original work).  I have a slight headache everyday and ringing in my ears everyday now, and was wondering if this infection can cause this?  Can this spread to other parts of my body?  Why would there be no pain if it is infected?  Can something else be done besides a bridge that is so costly?  Thanks

This discussion is related to Pain in the roof of the mouth.
Tags: tooth
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
If there is any infection it can cause pain and symptoms experienced by you. A clinical examination is necessary for correct diagnosis and management. There are many different causes of tinnitus like  stress, diet, fatigue, cholesterol, hypertension, small strokes, head trauma, benign tumors within the brain etc.If you think that your root canal is causing problems it is suggested to see dentist. If the ringing persists you may need to see an ENT specialist. Treatment will depend on the cause. Hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you for your reply...I do think I have tinnitus.  I spoke with another dentist today, and after reviewing my xray, he said it may only be a matter of time, before I have problems.....so for now, I will let it go until after the holidays...thanks again....
I am glad that you did get a second opinion with regard to your tooth.  If you do not have a plan with your dentist, it is a good idea to found out what the charges are for a replacement cap and bridges before you commit to one dentist.  The prices do seem to vary from dentist to dentist and whether it is a private dentist or a national health service dentist.

If you still are experiencing your headache and ringing in your ears, I would suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor to check your blood pressure and examine your ears for any ear infections.  

Sinus congestion can cause headaches and mucus can press on the ear drum from the Eustachian tube.  Doing steam inhalations will help to loosen up any congestion.  If there is a bacterial infection, the doctor would prescribe an antibiotic or a nasal spray to decongest the passages.

High blood pressure can cause headaches with ringing in the ears, so it is worth getting your blood pressure checked.

Sometimes there is no cause found for tinnitus and it is something that unfortunately you have to live with.  If your tinnitus does get unbearable there are ear aids that produce "white noise" that masks the tinnitus noise.  You will probably have noticed that you are more aware of the tinnitus when you are in a quiet environment.

Hope you have a good holiday.
Best wishes.

Thank you soooo much for all your info..this site is wonderful...and all the caring people is amazing.  My blood pressure, which I take med for, but only a slight RX seems to be ok...sometimes it goes up to 140/86 but today it is 120/78..and I still have the hissing and slight headache...I take 1/2 aspirin in the morning, and the other 1/2 in the afternoon...it seems to work. but this hissing...agggg...  I can live with it I guess...I wish every morning that it will be gone...fingers crossed~ Thanks again, Donna
Blood pressure readings can vary if you have just been rushing around or have drunk a hot drink or talk while the reading is being taken.
If you monitor your own blood pressure, make sure that you are relaxed and not just been running or rushing around, don't drink any hot drinks and do not talk while the pressure monitor is working.  Keep a record of your readings so that when you see your doctor next, your doctor will be able to decide whether you stay on the medication you are on or whether to give you a diuretic to take as well or give you another hypertension medication to take with the one you have or change it.

Do get your ears and throat checked out as having congestion can put pressure on the ear drum and sometimes cause the tinnitus.
For steam inhalations get a bowl and pour very hot water into it with some Vick or olbas oil.  Bend your head over the bowl and cover your head and the bowl with a towel.  Breathe in the steam through your nose and out through your mouth.  Do this 4 times a day for a duration of 10 minutes each time.  This is what my doctor told me to do when my Eustachian tubes were blocked causing problems with my ears.  Unfortunately that does not stop my tinnitus, but does help with the congestion of the sinuses.

There are also medications to decongest the sinuses, but as you are on hypertension medication, these are not suitable for you.  Sometimes a nasal spray is used for decongestion.

It is always best to get your ears checked out, because not only you may have congestion, but may have ear wax pressing on the drum.  
Hope you do get it sorted out and it does settle down for you.  I am the same age as you and I have suffered from tinnitus for 30 years now.  

Best wishes.