Dental Health Expert Forum
Infected tooth under a bridge

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Infected tooth under a bridge

I currently have a three tooth bridge.  The leading tooth of the bridge is infected due to bone loss/receding gums.  The dentist says all I can do is have the bridge pulled, pull the first tooth and replace it with a four tooth bridge.  Is there any alternative to losing the whole bridge and paying out for another costly bridge?  The tooth is draining infection daily so there is no pain right now.  Also, this will be the second bridge I have lost in the last couple of years due to the teeth underneath becoming infected.  The last bridge the dentist installed and had to remove never fit up close to the gumline.  He had to fill in the gap with some sort of veneer.  Does he know what he is doing?  He told me he wouldn't make that 'mistake' again!  I have an appt. with a prosthodontist on Wed. for another opinion.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Good idea getting another opinion.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE AN UNDERLYING PERIODONTAL PROBLEM. IF I WERE YOU I'D ASK THIS OF YOUR DENTIST AND POSSIBLY SEE A PERIODONTIST.
Thank you for the advice.  I did go to a periodontist.  They had me take four antibiotic pills before the appt.  My husband found me passed out on the floor three hours later with a severe stomach reaction.  When I did go for the rescheduled appt., I left the office with a handful of paper towels for the severe bleeding.  I had so much pain from the shots in the roof of my mouth etc. that I would rather have my teeth pulled and accept dentures than to go through that again.  One of the worst things I have ever experienced.  I've heard of a new topical freezing method used by some dentists, but no one around here will even consider it.  I could fly to Florida where they do it, but not sure if it's worth all the time and trouble.
Thank you for your comment.  I have been to a periodontist.  Worst experience I ever had.  They had me take four antibiotic pills before the appt.  My husband found me passed out in the bathroom three hours after taking the pills with severe stomach reaction.  When I went for the rescheduled appt., I left with a handfull of papers towels at my mouth for the bleeding.  The pain from the injections to the palate etc. were more than I could ever go through again.  I'd rather have dentures at this point.  I've heard about topical freezing methods but none of the dentists here will consider it.  I could fly to Florida where they offer it but I wonder if it is worth the time, effort and expense!